Monday, September 16, 2013

NOSTALGIC ONAM!

It's Onam Celebration this week and I am having a heavy dose of nostalgia. For me, the real celebration of the Onam festival can be experienced only in my hometown, Kerala - The Gods own country. And, the fact that I am not able to go to Kerala now, leaves me more and more sad and homesick.

Hey no, it's not that we can't or we won't celebrate it here. We do celebrate it, but in a limited version. Onam celebrations and cheer filling up here in Mumbai is nothing compared to Kerala during this season. Nothing can beat the happiness you get when you are in your hometown (Kerala) and celebrate your festival. Wanna bet?
I seriously miss Onam or rather I miss being at Kerala.

Onam was always a brilliant and unique experience to me, especially during school days in Kerala. We used to have Onam celebrations in school. It was completely different. In school, the students were divided into
three or four groups or houses as they name it. It may be like; Ashoka, Raman, Tagore or red, blue, green houses, etc.. There used to be Onapookkalam malsaram (Flower rangoli competition) where the four houses or the groups compete with each other. Cool isn't it?

Not only that, there used to be Thiruvathikalli dance (popular folk dance performed on the occasion of Onam and Thiruvathira) competition. I love dancing and I have taken part in almost all the dance programs as well as competitions and won prizes. I may put up some of my pictures sometime later! :) :)

Another exciting part of onam was the food. The most delicious food you will ever have is Onam Sadya (Onam feast). It is something unique with more than 11 items, which is served in plantain leaf. The center of attraction is what we call "Payasam" of different sorts.

Oh my god, how the heck can I forget about the boat race? Yeah, there is this Vallamkali or the Snake Boat Race, which is major tourist attraction of the state of Kerala and draws a large number of domestic and international tourists.

We used to enjoy Pullikalli, also known as Kaduvaakali, a 200 year old art. Literal meaning of Pulikali is the 'play of the tigers' hence the performance revolve around the theme of tiger hunting.

We sort of end up celebrating more of a ready-made Onam here and honestly it is no great fun. Eating Onam Sadya in a so-called Kerala Restaurant, which is not even close to what we eat in Kerala, watching special TV programs for Onam, Watching Thiruvathirakali on YouTube etc.. Everything has changed now!

I can't wait to visit Kerala and eat authentic food, meet my friends and celebrate a festival soon. Oh! How I wish I could. :(

For all those who celebrate this festival, I wish you all a wonderful one! Happy Onam guys! :D

6 comments:

  1. Even I have many Malayali friend but I never got a chance to visit Kerala during Onam,hope someday I make it..Wonderful Post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Harsh,

      You should surely visit Kerala once, especially during festive seasons. It is just great. Thanks a lot! Please do like my facebook page https://www.facebook.com/heywaitlistenblog

      Regards

      Delete
  2. Reading this was like a Mini trip to kerala and back. Specially made me remember my last year visit to Kerala(Sabarimalai) on onam day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kerala is always awesome! Thank you so much! :) :)

      Delete
  3. Gods own country!!! Adapaayasam is my favourite paayasam... I'm very lucky to be here in kerala...
    P.S. Our class bagged the first prize in pookalam malsaram held in the college...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Adithya,

      I am glad that you visited my blog! :) :)
      Wow...I love adapradhaman! O:) That's great! Which part of Kerala you belong to?

      Delete