Wednesday, August 14, 2013

RECIPE - PEAS, MOONG & BREAD PULAO

I love cooking.

Cooking was not even my hobby. I was actually forced to cook. I started my cooking journey when I was 12 years old by making Dosa and Tea for my brother and granny. As both my parents were working and my brother never showed interest in the kitchen area and my granny is very old to get into the kitchen, I was given the responsibility to cook.
But, after that things changed. I was no more fussy about cooking and slowly I started trying different recipes. And, now, I am very passionate about cooking. I thought of creating a food blog. But, I do not have enough time to give my full love and interest towards it. Maybe, I will start a food blog in a few months! :)

Okay! Enough about my story!
Last week I tried Peas, Moong & Bread Pulao and my folks at home really loved it! I wanted to click a photo, but by that time the pulao was almost over! So, I just wanted to share my recipe with you all! :)

INGREDIENTS

  1. 6-8 Bread slices
  2. 2 medium onions
  3. Rice - 2 cups (I used normal kolam rice)
  4. Peas - 1/2 cup (boiled)
  5. Moong - 1/2 cup (soaked for 2 hours)
  6. Oil and Ghee
  7. Garam Masala (optional) - 1/2 tbsp
  8. Salt to taste
For Masala Paste:
  1. Onion - 1/2
  2. Green Chillies - 3
  3. Cloves - 3
  4. Cinnamon - 1'' piece
  5. Ginger 
  6. Garlic pods - 2-3
  7. Cardamom - 2 nos
  8. Cashew - 3

METHOD

  1. Parboil the Green Peas. Soak the Moong Dal for 2 hours.Cook the rice and let it cool down.
  2. Grind the ingredients listed under "For Masala Paste" finely.
  3. Cut bread slices into squares and fry them by adding little ghee or oil on a low flame. Keep aside.
  4. Take a pressure cooker and heat ghee & oil.
  5. Put chopped onions and fry for few minutes.
  6. Add the masala paste along with Peas and Moong dal and fry till the peas and moong are soft and the raw smell goes away. You can also add a little water. 
  7. Add salt and Garama Masala (I did not add garam masala). Fry well.
  8. When the water is completely reduced, add the fried breads immediately followed by the cooked rice and mix well. Keep on low flame for 2 minutes.
  9. Serve Hot. 
You can also add different vegetables in this recipe. Do try this and let me know the feedback! :) 

1 comment: